Vancouver’s worst intersection – located at Knight Street and SE Marine Drive – is under major renovations to make it a safer interchange used by heavy transport trucks, public transit, cars, cyclists and pedestrians.
Crown Contracting is overseeing the civil and electrical services on the project and Fraserway PreKast is providing the precast concrete signal light bases, street light bases, sidewalk light bases and controller bases for the project.
According to ICBC, 80% of accidents that occur at this intersection are rear-enders. It is the highest accident location in all of Vancouver with 529 injury incidents between 2009 and 2013. The construction will improve safety, eliminate traffic related fatalities and help manage the efficient flow of goods and people throughout the region.
According to the City of Vancouver intersection upgrade plan, the project will help improve safety in the following ways:
- An additional vehicle lane and new traffic signal on the Knight Street Bridge off-ramp connecting to eastbound SE Marine Drive.
- A new westbound left-turn lane on SE Marine Drive connecting to the Knight Street northbound on-ramp
- A reconfigured traffic signal.
- New shared pedestrian and bicycle paths on the Knight Street overpass, the Knight Street eastbound off-ramp, and the north side of SE Marine Drive.
Construction is well underway and should be completed by the end of fall 2017.
The crews will be working during the night from 8 pm to 5 am to help reduce traffic impacts.
Advantages of Fraserway PreKast Ltd. Traffic Control Products
- Central lower mainland production facility in the Township of Langley
- Manufactured in accordance with CSA A23.4
- Variety of standard products with a wide range of custom capabilities
- Fastest lead time in the market
- Yard pick up or Hiab delivery
CBC News: Vancouver’s worst intersection for collisions is getting a makeover
City of Vancouver Road Improvements